Using Electronics Safely: Preventing Your Next Fire Disaster
Properly using your cords and electrical outlets can help to prevent fires in your home, keeping you and your family safe
From your friends at SERVPRO of North Highlands and Rio Linda, here are a few tips on staying safe with your electrical appliances in your home. When it comes to electricity, the degradation of cords and sockets can cause a “short” to occur between the wires, this sparking may cause a fire.
- Socket Guards - Install socket guards when not using a plug, they are cheap and simple and can protect children from injury
- Unplug, Not Pull - When unplugging an appliance, make sure to pull from the base of the plug and not the cord to prevent damage
- Replace Damaged Cords - If you spot a damaged cord or cable, be sure to replace it before the damage becomes worse.
- Running cords or cables under your carpet can cause them to degrade over time when people step on them, and if they do become damaged you cannot see it
- Know Your Power - Check the wattage rating on cords to avoid overloading them. Don’t overload any circuit, don’t daisy chain adapters so that you can plug more into one socket
- Leave The Ground - Never cut the third prong and remove the grounding ability from high-powered electronics
- When placing extension cables, don’t leave them hanging on metal surfaces, heated surfaces, or sharp surfaces
- When buying extension cords, ensure they are certified by organizations such as “UL Listed”
With these helpful tips, SERVPRO from North Highlands and Rio Linda hope you and your family will continue to be safe and disaster free. For all of your other cleaning and restoration needs visit our website or call us at (916) 991-1522.