April Showers Bring May Flowers
April is around the corner which could mean rain. Is your property prepared? Here are some tricks to help keep rain from coming into your home and causing damage.
- Regular Roof Maintenance – Your roof is the first line of protection from the rain coming down. Even a small crack can create massive water damage throughout your property.
- Keep your Rain Gutters Clear - Blocked rain gutters will force rainwater down your property walls and some of it can seep into the property. This also can encourage mold growth inside of your walls.
- Repair and Seal all your Windows – A broken, or unsealed window will quickly invite water into your property’s walls.
- Sweep Away Debris – Debris such as leaves, plastic, and paper can quickly clop up drains and retain pockets of water against the outer walls of your home causing flooding in your home.
- Create a Slope to Move Water Away From your Property – If you move dirt away from the walls of your property the slopes will lead the water away from your property.
- Install a Divert Downspout at your Property – This is a device added to the bottom of your roof downspout that moves the rainwater four feet away from your home helping protect the foundation.
- Build a Swale Ditch – This is a ditch lined with rocks or pavers it also keeps the rainwater away from your foundation and is usually done with flat yards.
- Exterior French Drain – These are pipes and trenches that are designed to drain groundwater from the property’s foundation.
- Increase the Size of Exterior Drains – The larger your drains are, the less chance they will have to get clogged.
- If flooding caused by rainwater is a reoccurring issue for your property, you may want to – Install a Sump Pump – Installing a sump pump to your foundations makes it so that whenever water rises to a certain level it automatically activates and starts to drain water 10 feet away from your property.
If you are faced with any type of water damage call SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda today. We have experience mitigating and restoring many properties in the greater Sacramento area after they were affected by all kind of different water caused damage. Call 916-991-1522, with any questions or concerns today.