Fire Hazards in the Backyard
As it gets warmer we will be spending more and more time outdoors and in our backyard. Don’t forget that there can be potential fire hazards to our home in our yard. Here are some fire hazards to take note of while enjoying your yard.
- Barbecue/Grill and Firepits – Help prevent a fire by keeping them away from your house. 10+ feet from your home and away from any overhead branches or structures. Also clean after every use.
- Smoking – Be particularly careful while extinguishing your cigarette, a garbage against a wall provides perfect kindling to send your wall up in flames.
- Extension Cord - Don’t overload your extension cords because this can result in an electrical shortage and bad connections, which will ignite nearby combustibles and quickly start a fire.
- Exposed Light Bulbs – When a light bulb is in the socket it only reaches about 175 degrees Fahrenheit. But an exposed socket can reach up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, which can easily ignite something causing a fire.
- Sawdust – Keep it swept up a short spark from metal objects or wiring can cause a sawdust pile to quickly ignite.
- Storage Areas - Did you know that your garage, basement, yard shed, and green houses are fire hazards as well? Keep debris and junk away from furnace, heaters, greenhouse lighting, and generators. Don’t pile newspapers or dead leaves in warm damp areas. Keep gasoline or other flammable liquids in tightly sealed metal containers and place them far away from heat sources.
From your friends at the SERVPRO of North Highlands / Rio Linda, we want you all to stay safe and fire free. If you do face a fire and end up with property damage our professional team has the answers you need, call us at (916) 991-1522, or visit our website for more information.